Choose the right online course
Online study is a great way to upskill while you juggle other commitments. But with hundreds of institutions offering a huge selection of online courses, how do you work out which course is the one for you? Answering these four questions will help you make the right decision.
1. Why do I want to study?
First things first: work out what you want to get out of your online course.
- I'm starting out in my career Online study gives you the flexibility to work and earn money while skilling up for the job of your dreams. To get you started, SEEK Learning has a great selection of entry-level certificate courses to choose from.
- I want to build up my skills Postgraduate courses or diplomas and advanced diplomas allow you to build on current skills and show employers that you are serious about your chosen career path.
- I think it's time for a career change Online study allows you to gain an understanding of what your new professions involves, while you continue working and jobseeking. If you've been in the workforce for a while, a diploma or advanced diploma is a great way to kickstart a new career.
- I want to step up to a leadership position Update your qualifications and show your boss you have the skills and motivation for the next level up. A degree or postgraduate degree is one of the most highly recognised qualifications you can attain, and it will help you step up to your next promotion.
SEEK Learning consultants are experts at matching courses with your career goals. Contact a SEEK Learning consultant now for advice on the right course for you.
2. Do the course and college have good reputations?
A reputable course provider will ensure that you receive high-quality education, and that your qualification is recognised in the industry.
To find out whether employers will be impressed by your course, talk to people working in the industry about which courses are highly regarded. Do a sweep of industry job ads and see if employers are looking for a specific qualification.
Every SEEK Learning course is nationally recognised, government-accredited or industry-approved. Our online courses are all accredited by a Registered Training Organisation – which guarantees they meet Australian national standards and rate just as highly as equivalent courses delivered on campus.
For more information on accreditation standards and terms, see our Glossary.
3. What about course materials, assessment and support?
Find out about how your course will be delivered and make sure the method suits you. In fact, find out as much as you can about the course, including:
- Assessments and requirements
- Mandatory contact hours or workshops
- What the workload is like
- How you’ll interact with your teachers and other students.
These details will help you decide whether the course is right.
The courses offered through SEEK Learning are delivered in a way that's easy to understand and engage with. Plus, our online students get plenty of support from tutors and advisers over the phone and by email.
4. What are the costs of online study?
It’s important to consider what the up-front and ongoing costs of study will be, and which payment options are available for various courses.
You will need to make provisions for:
- Text books
- Other course materials
- Any travel for contact sessions
Luckily, studying online means you won't need to take time off work for classes and you can keep the cash flowing. Most Australian citizens qualify for government assistance that will help cover the costs of study.
FEE-HELP covers most, or all of the fees associated with study. This government loan covers undergraduate, postgraduate and approved vocational education and training (VET) courses,You'll only need to start paying the loan back when your income has reached a certain level.
Most SEEK Learning courses are Austudy, Abstudy and Youth Allowance - approved, which means you may receive fortnightly allowances from Centrelink if you're a full-time student.
If you don't qualify for government assistance, SEEK Learning can aarrange interest-free study loans for approved applicants in their first year of study.
For more information, contact a SEEK Learning consultant today.
See our online courses