Study at your own pace
This degree’s flexibility allows you to tailor your studies to your schedule. Studying online also means your course work is portable – you can study anytime, anywhere.
There are 3 teaching periods a year, and you can enrol in 1 to 4 units every period. On average each unit requires approximately 8 hours of study time each week. This includes doing readings, activities, interaction with other students and assessment tasks.
Possible study loads
- Accelerated: 12 units per year over 2 years
- Full-time: 8 units per year over 3 years
- Suggested: 6 units per year over 4 years
- Part-time: 4 units per year over 6 years
There are study breaks between teaching periods and over Christmas / New Year so you can take time out during your course.
HECS-HELP – Study now, pay as you earn
This course allows you to defer paying for your studies via HECS-HELP. This is a government loan that covers all or part of your fees so there’s no need to pay your course upfront.
If you're eligible:
- the Australian government contributes to the cost of your course
- you pay the remainder of your fees (known as a student contribution), and
- you may be eligible for HECS-HELP assistance to pay your student contribution
You may also be eligible for other financial assistance such as Youth Allowance, Austudy or Abstudy.
Supported and interactive learning
Swinburne Online has been tailored specifically to cater to the needs of students who are studying remotely. Your course has been developed specifically to be done online with an easy to use system and constant tutor support which gives you the benefits of face-to-face learning without having to step foot in a classroom. The entire learning experience is designed to be supportive, engaging and collaborative.
Benefits of online learning:
- All learning materials included
- No need to purchase additional textbooks
- Access your course through Blackboard and Blackboard Mobile Learn, a free app
- Excellent tutor-student ratio
- Regular feedback and guidance from eLearning Advisors
- Course content is supplemented by online communication technologies such as discussion boards, chat sessions, email and blogs.
- Student liaison officers are available by email and phone 7 days a week to respond to queries you may have about your study; this can be anything from admissions and enrolment to assessments and technical issues.
- Being able to study at a time that is convenient for you
The course will develop your skill in:
- written and online communication
- collaborating in individual and group work
- critiquing and analysing information sources
Upon completion of this unit, not only you will be more confident about online study, this unit also gives you credit towards the overall completion of your degree.