Whether you’ve been out of work for a while or you’re interested in a radical career change, an impressive salary can certainly motivate you to look into a particular industry. But it’s not always a manner of chasing the big dollars straight away – more often than not, some preparation needs to be done.
Identifying your passions, researching your ideal job, and analysing your skills are great ways to ensure you’re setting your sights on a role that will keep you happy as well as fill your pockets.
Join the high five
If you have eyes on the big prize, it could be worth seeing if your interests match up with the top paying industries in Australia.
In descending order, here are the highest paid industries and their average salaries from June 2014 to May 2015, according to the latest data from SEEK:
- 1. Mining, Resources & Energy – Average salary $118,298 (Management average salary $132,599)
- 2. Consulting & Strategy – Average salary $107,503 (Management & Change Consulting average salary $120,934)
- 3. Construction – Average salary $104,023 (Management average salary $124,682)
- 4. Engineering – Average salary $103,396 (Project Management average salary $122,492)
- 5. Information & Communication Technology – Average salary $99,945 (IT Architect job average $136,621)
The dollar signs certainly can be a study incentive! Plus, there are a large variety of courses targeted at specific jobs within these industries.
Check out a few examples of jobs within these top five industries and the relevant courses that will get you on your way:
Mining, Resources & Energy
- Work Health & Safety Officer
- Human Resources Manager
- High-Risk Work Trainer & Assessor
- Recruitment Coordinator
Qualifications: SEEK Learning can give you all the info you need on related industry courses including the Diploma of Work Health and Safety (BSB51315), Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) (CPC50210), and PMI Project Management Professional course.
- Project Manager
- Project Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
Qualifications: There are multiple streams in engineering including Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, and Mechatronics and Robotics. SEEK Learning can assist you with finding the right project management course for your engineering career.